Today we’re reviewing the Omvits Vegan Omega 3 supplement, giving you a definitive, unbiased review of the pros and cons.
As always, we have purchased the product ourselves and have tested it over a long period of time to ensure a complete review.
Let’s get stuck in!
- 100% Vegan. Made from marine algae oil, containing no fish or gelatine.
- 400mg Omega-3 DHA per serving (typically it’s recommended to have at least 250mg per day).
- Easy to swallow.
- Free from most allergens, including gluten, lactose, seafood and nuts.
Omvits is a British-based vitamin and supplements company, dedicated to providing high-quality, vegan supplements that are both affordable and sustainable for the planet. Whilst being a relatively young company (founded in 2017), Omvits have grown quickly to become one of the leaders in quality vegan supplements.
Their Omvits Vegan Omega 3 supplement is no different.
Following the vegan lifestyle, you may struggle to get enough Omega 3 into your diet. With each serving of two capsules providing 160% of your recommended omega-3 daily intake, Omvits more than provide you with enough Omega 3 in your diet.
What’s more, it’s 100% algae-based. Fish themselves get their high Omega 3 content from algae, so why not just go straight to the source?
In order to see if Omvits Vegan Omega 3 Algae Oil truly does live up to the hype, we bought a bottle of 60 capsules and put them to the test for a couple of weeks.
Here’s what we thought.
Main Features of The Omvits Vegan Omega 3 Supplement
- 100% plant-based: Omvits Omega 3 uses clean marine algae to provide you with your daily dose of omega 3 – the very same algae where fish get their own omega 3 from! The capsules themselves are gelatine-free.
- Highest quality standards: Omvits are manufactured to global food safety standards, ensuring that the product you receive is of the best quality you can get from a vegan omega 3 supplement.
- Fully sustainable: sourced from farmed algae, which is fully sustainable and does not affect the oceans in any negative way.
- Independently batch tested and verified: every batch of Omvits Vegan Omega 3 Capsules are tested to ensure that they are free from any heavy metals or microbes.
- Free from allergens: the capsules are free from gluten, lactose, nuts, soya and seafood.
- Easy to swallow: whilst some capsules can be difficult to get down, we found Omvits capsules very easy to swallow.
Ingredients and Nutrition
As with all of our product reviews, we always scrutinise the nutritional content and ingredients of the products to ensure that they’re of the best quality.
Ingredients-wise, Omvits Omega 3 are pretty basic (in a good way!).
Inside the capsules, you’ve got 100% vegal algal oil (algal is simply describing anything algae-related) and vitamin E. That’s it. No additives, no preservatives.
The capsules are made from red seaweed, modified corn starch, vegetable glycerine and water.
You don’t want your omega 3 supplements to contain a bunch of filler ingredients, and there are products on the market that do, so be sure to always check the ingredients.
Nutritionally, you’re recommended to take 2 capsules per day (there’s 60 in a bottle, so about a month’s supply). One capsule would give you 80% of your recommended omega 3 for the day, so you could stick with one if you weren’t too bothered about getting over 100% (and if you wanted the bottle to last longer).
It’s hard to get around the fishy taste when it comes to Omega 3. Whatever supplement you opt for, there is definitely going to be a fishy taste.
The unique difference we’ve found using Omvits Vegan Omega 3 is that they don’t have much of a fishy aftertaste or an oily, fishy smell when opening the bottle. To help with the taste, we had ours with breakfast each morning so there’s no lingering fishiness.
These are probably some of the better tasting vegan omega 3 supplements we’ve tried on the market.
Big thumbs up from us!
Value for Money
Cost is an important factor to consider when choosing a supplement, especially if you’re planning on taking them for the long-term. On the other hand, you always want to make sure that the supplement you choose is made from high-quality ingredients, which typically means more expensive.
So how does Omvits Vegan Omega 3 Algae Oil compare?
- Great for heart health – omega 3 can improve risk factors for heart disease by supporting normal function and reducing inflammation.
- Great for brain health – DHA makes up 97% of the omega 3 in the brain. Helps to support normal brain function.
- Great for eye health – omega 3 DHA prevents age-related vision problems, and prevents dry eyes.
- Great for pregnancy – taking an omega 3 DHA supplement is linked to normal brain development and fewer behavioural problems in children.
- Helps to ease joint pain, stiffness and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
It’s no surprise why Omvits have built up a reputation as one of the best brands on the market for vegan supplements. With the quality ingredients found in the Omvits Vegan Omega 3 supplement, as well as their ethos in sustainability and recyclable packaging (they also sell refill bags!), you can’t go wrong when choosing any Omvits product.
Two of our team used these supplements for just over two weeks, and both were in agreement that they were the best vegan omega 3 supplement they’ve taken in terms of taste, quality and sustainability.
Our honest recommendation? If you’re looking for a vegan omega 3 supplement that isn’t filled with harmful chemicals, and provides you with everything you need, then look no further!